Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why Chris Pronger is Entertaining

Now that Chris Pronger is not in the Western Conference, my opinion of him has changed for the positive. It's a 360-turn around. For years, when he played in the Western conference, he was head-to-head with the Red Wings and other contenders. I despised the dude. He took cheap shots, was forever and a day starting fights and was just a downright spiteful player. He definitely got away with moves other players would have received penalties for. He was mean. Many times I found myself yelling at the tv after watching some of his moves. (I'll deny yelling at my tv, if anyone asks). He was excellent at playing defense, but I still hated him.

That's changed this season. I was thrilled to see him become part of the Philadelphia Flyers. That team has had a reputation for being rough and “dirty” for years. I felt he would fit right in. And, he has.

It's a blast watching him go after players and do his stuff. It's fun watching him get in someone's face and chirp. It's fun watching him maneuver for position in front of the net. He's just all around fun to watch. :)

His antics at press conferences are entertaining, also. So many stupid questions asked, and he gives stupid answers. He plays with the media like they deserve to be played with. The media, in my opinion, has gotten out of hand. They have invaded the sport far too extensively and ask the most redundant, ridiculous questions. And, some questions are asked at the most inopportune times (like when players are sitting on the bench). For instance, at a recent press conference after Game 2, he was asked something about how he guessed. (I'm not certain of the correct wording since I couldn't hear it). He responded, quite defiantly, ...”I don't guess”. He would request media to ask one question at a time. He would ask which question they wanted him to answer since there is such a propensity for the media to ask two questions at a time within one phrasing. He was putting it to them. Kudos to him! It's refreshing to see a player take a stance instead of hearing the usual, run-of-the-mill answers. I'm willing to bet some it has to do with him being a veteran player. New kids on the block probably couldn't get away with it. Plus, who's going to mess with Chris Pronger?

Pronger is a seasoned veteran who, I believe, will be a first-round Hall of Famer. It's fun to finally be able to have the pleasure of watching him play.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment